A little bit of history
The "Finale stone" slate adorning doorways, modelling itself into columns and decorations, embellishing the squares put on show by this small town along its narrow streets. Medieval walls broken only by the gateways, semicircle towers and wonderful vistas: this is how the town of Finale appears before the eyes of anyone at sea turning round to admire the view behind them. Mansions dating back to the 15th century and the renaissance period, renovated during the period of Spanish rule and the most important monument in the town: St Blaise's basilica, a sumptuous example of baroque architecture built in the 17th century on the original medieval church (1372), which still conserves the original apse and the audacious late gothic bell tower (1463) with its octagonal shape and its numerous finely carved double lancet windows on every side. The façade was left incomplete in undressed stone whilst the interior with its three naves is striking for its magnificent wealth of decorations.
Food and wine
It's hard to resist the famous deliciously sweet Finale Ligure chifferi put before you. Little tasty slightly horse-shoe shaped almond cakes topped by a crusty layer of almonds to create a contrast, lending a delicate unmistakeable flavour to the palate.
The traditional Journey into the Middle Ages (Viaggio nel Medioevo) is the most eagerly awaited medieval venue in August. Organized by the Finale Old Town, hundreds of medieval artists coming from all over Europe perform in the town. The Journey into the Middle Ages was conferred with the President of the Republic silver medal, an official recognition gratifying the over one hundred volunteers active in the finale historical association and confirming it as the principal medieval event in Western Liguria.
Around and about
Guided excursions are organized to discover nature paths in the Finale Ligure hinterland also with the purpose of creating awareness on environmental problems. Itineraries for mountain-bikes, free rides, road bikes, rock climbing, hiking and extreme sports wind their way directly from the streets in the town to reach their destinations, which may also be of artistic interest such as the church of the five bell towers.
With its capacity for two hundred and fifty seats, distributed into twenty-four boxes and small stalls and built by using the oratory belonging the Scuole Pie Fathers, Teatro Aycardi was the first theatre to be built in Liguria during the Napoleonic times. "At the start of this century" the construction of these premises was on great demand "by various persons in this city at their own expense", wrote Goffredo Casalis in 1840. Included amongst the protected Italian monuments by FAI (Italian Environment Fund), it has hosted operas, concerts and plays during its almost two century lifetime.
Finalborgo IAT tourist information bureau, tel. +39 019 680954